Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Independent Reading

Independent Reading needs to take place on a daily basis in the classroom. This is a quiet time for students to jump into their books. I will at times issue homework in which students tell me about the book they are reading and their opinions on it. I want it to be enjoyable and not something they associate with boring schoolwork. I want my class to take their books home with them so they know that books have the ability to be read anywhere they want, and can be enjoyed wherever a student goes. Having students set goals for themselves will motivate them to read too.




Its benefits are ever increasing. Students' fluency and vocabulary will increase over time. In my class, I would like to implement a literature journal. It's a literature circle without the circle. I want students to give opinions on chapters, characters, and have them think critically about about their books. I will give adequate time for daily independent reading in my classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment