Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Shared Reading

Shared reading is a great way to develop fluency and sentence structure. Teachers can use echo reading, buddy reading, choral reading as ways to develop those skills. In my lesson, I chose to echo read using a Halloween poem. However, being in a 5th grade classroom, I had some students racing to finish the echo. So be aware of the level of children you are reading to. Afterwards, we went over vocabulary words from the poem, and had students infer what the poem was about.






I. Subject/Content Area
• Reading/Language Arts/Holiday
II. Course of Study
• Use a range of strategies, including drawing conclusions such as opinions about characters based on their actions and summarizing passages, to comprehend fifth-grade recreational reading materials in a variety of genres.
• Use a wide range of strategies and skills, including using text features to gain meaning, summarizing passages, and drawing conclusions, to comprehend fifth-grade informational and functional reading materials.
III. Concepts
• Fluency, recognizing words automatically, reading with expression
IV. Behavioral Objectives
• TSW demonstrate fluency, focusing on reading with expression
• TSW use high-frequency words correctly in oral language
• TSW identify sequence of events
V. Evaluation
• Teacher observation of students participating in shared reading lesson by reading fluently, with expression, and using high-frequency words in oral language.
• Class discussion identifying sequencing of events in the poem

VI. Materials
• Meeting Myself, a Halloween Poem for all students, highlighters, SMARTboard
VII. Teaching/Learning Procedures
A. Motivation
• The teacher will announce the title of the poem, and have students make predictions about the poem. The teacher will ask students what they like best about Halloween.
B. Instructional Procedures
• The teacher will distribute copies of the poem to each student. Teacher will explain that they are going to practice reading the poem fluently today. They will listen to the teacher model the poem fluently and with expression.
• The teacher will read the poem, two lines at a time, with the class echoing those exact two lines as they follow along with their poem.
• The students will read the poem together, without echoing. The teacher will step in if needed, in case the class gets off track.
• The teacher and students will discuss any challenging words and highlight them on the poem.
• The teacher will then write on the smartboard a line from the poem, and a student will come to the board and write something that happened either before or after that line. We will do this until we get majority of the poem in sequence order.
C. Closure
• The teacher and students will reread the poem together. Expression, fluency, and comprehension are key points that students will focus on. They will keep the poem and reread during independent reading.


VIII. Supplemental Activities (Early Finishers, Enrichment, Remediation)
• No early finishers
• Students can illustrate the poem, or the highlighted words. Buddy groups can be formed to encourage reading together
• For students who have trouble reading fluently, the teacher will work with them in a small group
IX. Professional Reflection
• The shared reading lesson worked well. My main problem was that I split the lesson into two groups. Because I was using a poem to do echo reading, the other half of the class not involved with the poem could hear everything we were doing. They knew what to expect when it was their turn to participate. I initially wanted to have it done in four small groups. My cooperating teacher told me I didn’t have enough time for that. That’s why I decided to do two groups. If I had to do the lesson over, I would make the lesson as whole class. The actual lesson went well. We echoed the poem and then put the poem in sequential order on the smartboard. The poem related to their lives, so it was fun to discuss that as well.






























Meeting Myself, a Halloween Poem
By KSarver

While scouring the aisles for a costume that would fright,
I came across a horror and squealed with delight.

Something so magical it called out my name,
I knew I had to have it, so fast did I claim.

While putting it on I felt such a glee,
I ran out the house screaming like a banshee.

Knocking on doors and gathering my treats,
nothing moved faster that the soles of my feet.

Knocking at the last home something didn't feel right,
the door flung itself open and showed its white light.

The woman was old and covered with warts,
the dog was bearing his teeth and boy did he snort.

It felt like i was looking in a mirror, my reflection I did see,
I turned to run away, but I could not flee.

It was myself I was glaring at, wrinkled and old.
My future shown to me, so alone and so cold.

She told me that she was once like me, young and full of vigor,
but unkindness had changed her, my eyes grew ever so bigger.

I turned and ran home as fast as I could,
knowing I had to change, and I knew that I would.

So if you get your jollies from causing a fright,
just remember it may be you at the next door,
on a foggy Halloween night.

No comments:

Post a Comment