Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Reading Philosophy/Goals

"Knowledge is Power". Children hear this quote all the time, but I doubt they take a moment to reflect on what it means. A person's potentials or abilities in life will undoubtedly increase the more knowledge that is gained. And the more one is reading, the more they will acquire knowledge. I want students to be able to understand that through reading, they are gaining knowledge and no one can ever take that away from them.

As an educator, I want to challenge them to read books that are anything but silly books. Sure there is a time and a place for those, but I want students to be challenged to read a variety of texts; Chapter books, novels, magazines, journal articles, newspapers, biographies, informative internet articles. With me providing the variety of texts and the many subjects, students will hopefully find things that engage them when it comes to reading.

I hope to be able to instill a passion for reading. Nobody likes doing chores, and I'd hate for students to view reading as a chore. Ways that I can do that start with my own attitude. I must be excited about reading for students to be excited. Having literature circles and other activities related to their reading materials gets them interested in what they are reading.

Last but not least, I want them to know and understand the difference between first-hand and second-hand knowledge. Instead of taking someone's word at face value, find out for yourself by researching the topic. Students need to question everything.

Mini Goals-To understand and know how to spell:

They're, There, Their
Your, You're
Than, Then
(more to come...)

No comments:

Post a Comment